21 January 2017

Surviving the Delhi Book Fair!

"Hey! I have hoarding problems, nice to meet you!"

Happy New Year guys! *make some noise or not*
It's a little late, but not /too/ late, I hope?
How have you been lately? I've been cooking and travelling and relaxing for the most part of my vacations; and now I'm back to blogging for good. I've missed y'all a ton!


The Delhi Book Fair happened a couple of days ago, so I thought I'll give it a shot and check it out. I'm more of a Daryaganj Sunday Market person, so I thought I'll go for a 'quick' survey which for most part wasn't quick at all. tell you more about how I survived the fair without having a total burnout. Also I'm so smart for not taking notes of my favourite stalls, I'll a moment here to mock myself for it.
Anyway, sounds nice innit? Keep reading because these tips are 24k gold, I kid you not!
Here are some of my tips:
01. Get a sturdy bag or a backpack which won't hurt your back. I didn't (I carried a jhola) and now my shoulder, neck and back hurt a little.
Note: You'll be walking and hoarding things more than what you had thought of. Also, try to get an extra bag which you can store in your bag. Because one is not enough. I use the one pictured below.



02. Plan to go there early. Some stalls do set up a little late, but if you want to avoid the crowd, it's totally worth the efforts. I suggest dropping in by 12 o'clock to get the minimum crowd and scoring the best deals on books.

03. One word - Bargain!

04. Those second-hand book stalls and Rs. 100 for 2/3/5 book stalls, they're a boon. Make the best use of the deals. Take your time, you'll love it.

05. If you want a book, but don't need it - you'll probably need it later.

06. If you want some stationery/art supply, but don't need it - you probably won't need it either.

07. Wear comfortable shoes - sore feet are the worst thing that can happen to you.

08. You might not find the book that you were looking for, but you might find something different or something which interests you even more.

09. Survey before buying anything -  that book that you just got your eye on, it might be in a better condition/cheaper two stalls away.

10. Ask around if you can't find a book. The stall attendants might not beof any help at all, but you might find some helpful people who might have seen it and can direct you to it.
11. Make your decisions wisely, you might not get the book later at all - it all depends on the demand and the popularity of the book/author. Be alert at all times and take your call.

12. Take some snacks and a bottle of water with you. You'll need them.

13. Do yourself a favour and don't buy that Chetan Bhagat novel. Just don't. Please.

14. If you're tired, feel free to find a clean spot on the ground for yourself. There's absolutely no point in being shy about it. If John Legend and Chrissy Teigen can sit at the Red Carpet during the Golden Globes Awards a sometime ago, you sure can sit on the 'red' capret at the book fair. 
The seating arrangements made by the staff there are invaded by a bunch of kids (at all times) who'd rather go to a mall or watch cartoons at home. People watching also happens to be a favourite past time of yours truly, you can take my word on that.

15. Try not to get lost - in books, in stationery, between the stalls, between the halls - whatever place you think you might get lost at.


Also, before I forget.
Entry tickets for the fairs are the same and can be obtained at the Entry Gates.
Prices are: Rs 20 for Adults; Rs. 10 for Children. (You can also ask for a Student Discount and go for half the price - peanuts, I tell you!)
Nearest Metro Station is Pragati Maidan.
(Get off from Gate No. 2. The road leads outside the vicinity. Instead, turn around and walk on the street taking you further inside the compound.)

Currently Listening:
(Thanks Arnav, if you're reading this!)
Like/love/adore the post? Give me a heads up by dropping in a comment and sharing the post on your social media. Don't forget to follow me on FacebookInstagramTwitterSnapchat and Bloglovin', and never miss out on a new post. You can also subscribe to the blog via email, just feed in your email address on the box in the sidebar and you're good to go!

Don't forget to save this post by pinning it!

See you soon ~